At Houston Federal Credit Union we know it’s important to make sure our members are always safe and covered for any financial needs. As we all know Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) has impacted our world, communities, and everyday lives especially when it comes to the way we make our daily transactions.
While practicing safety and social distancing has become an active practice, we know it’s extremely important to always stay cautious as well as know the dos and don’ts of ATM safety. This is the time when we must take every precaution to keep ourselves, family, loved ones, and community safe.
We know situations occur that may cause you to travel outside of your home during stay at home recommendations; you may end up going to an ATM to withdraw money or make transactions to assist with your essential needs. With that being said, it is extremely important to keep your transactions safe and yourself even safer.
Here are some essential safety tips that should always be followed while using the ATM.
- Always stay aware of your surroundings when you travel and know to quickly access the ATM as well as find CO-OP surcharge free ATM’s with our Branch and ATM Locator.
- Always observe your surroundings before using the ATM:
- If you’re using a drive-up ATM, make sure your car doors are locked, and that all windows except the one you’re using are rolled up.
- If walking up to an ATM maintain a one-meter distance from another person at the ATM station.
- Be sure to carry hand sanitizer, wet wipes, gloves or tissues along with you and clean your hands instantly after touching the ATM or monitor.
- Do not touch your face, mouth or nose before or after transactions.
- Practice Personal Identification Number (PIN) safety. Never tell anyone your PIN, and never write it down. Also when choosing your PIN never use your birth date, the last four digits of your phone number, or any other obvious combination of numbers.
- If there’s a line to use the ATM, use your body or your hand as a shield to make it difficult for someone to see your PIN as you type it in.
- Try your best to minimize your time at the machine. Know the transaction you want to complete before you go to the ATM and have your card readily available. Don’t count your money until you’re in a safe place away from the ATM.
- If possible, avoid going to the ATM by using our handy digital and remote services. You can make-the-most-of-online-mobile-banking and deposit your checks remotely as well as a variety of other convenient services online.
- Put your cards, cash and receipts away immediately.
- Never let down your guard after completing your transaction. If you leave and believe you are being followed be sure to drive to the nearest police station, fire station or well-trafficked and well-lit area to call the police.
- Never leave your receipt behind. Even if account numbers aren’t printed on your receipt, information on them could be used by someone building up information for identity theft. Shred receipts when you’re done with them.
- If you notice suspicious activity after you’ve begun your ATM transaction, cancel it, recover your card and leave.
- Be sure to always stay aware of all your transactions with our Card Security services so that you may receive alerts and notifications of any suspicious activity.
- If you feel that your card has been misplaced, lost or stolen be sure to contact us so that one of our HFCU representatives can assist with any questions as well as replace your card to help prevent fraudulent activity.
If you have noticed any suspicious or unusual activity on your accounts after normal business hours, please contact the Fraud Center by calling 1-800-237-8990. If desired, Houston Federal Credit Union can close your ATM, debit or credit card and reissue a new one for you.
By following these safety tips you can protect yourself, and others while using the ATM. We want our members to know that we are here for them, and we can get through this time together while keeping each other safe and informed.